Thursday, February 5, 2009

From a Diggers Teammate

I've never much prescribed to the idiom "still waters run deep", but it genuinely seems written for our good friend, Mike.

He was quiet and reserved, until he felt a situation merited action. In hindsight, I don't think I ever saw him throw away a single word. But those of us who knew him well were lucky enough to see that he was full of surprises.

The flashes of grit on the mound (who knew he could get so worked up? he turned pacing into an art form), the time he belted out a perfect rendition of Barry Manilow's Mandy at karaoke (every single note was perfect – we all talked about that night over and over), or the time he offered to help my husband find a job (he was so gifted at his work, and so humble).

Looking at these childhood pictures of Mike, I already miss my friend dearly. And when spring comes to the city this year – when the gloves come out and the cleats get clapped together – it will be missing one of its most beautiful children.

- Cindy, #31

No comments:

Post a Comment